The Hudson Aquatic Systems’ AquaPacer Plus underwater treadmill with warm and cold saltwater is an effective tool for training and conditioning, injury prevention, post-workout recovery, and successful rehab for a variety of diagnoses. At Unbridled Equine, a rehab and training facility in Batavia, Illinois, the AquaPacer Plus with cold saltwater proved to be crucial in the treatment and recovery of recurring cellulitis.
Goldie, a 14-year-old AQHA mare barrel racer, was brought to Unbridled Equine for treatment of recurring cellulitis in the right hind leg that was preventing her from competing. Goldie spent 50 days at UE completing her treatment, which included 35 sessions in the AquaPacer Plus.
Goldie’s Treatment Outline:
• Water: Cold Saltwater
• Water Height: Mid-Hock to walk and soak
• Speed: 1.9 mph (specifically determined according to Goldie’s natural stride)
• Time: First session 10 minutes, increased to 20 minutes by 25th session
Utilizing cold saltwater for treatments not only provide benefits from the natural properties of water (buoyancy, hydrostatic pressure, viscosity), but are also especially beneficial for injury prevention, rehab and post-workout recovery.
Cold saltwater therapy helps speed up the body’s natural healing process in the following ways:
- Blood vessels constrict decreasing edema and increasing oxygenated blood supply to surrounding tissues.
- Cold temperatures slow down electrical impulses to the areas of the brain that signal pain.
- Hydrostatic pressure increases with water depth, helping to reduce swelling while salt draws excess fluid from the tissues.
- Turbulence is added to the water from walking on the treadmill and/or from turbulence jets resulting in increased cold penetration into joints and tissues, decreased pain and increased dispersal of fluids.
After just two months in the AquaPacer and completing rehab at Unbridled Equine, Goldie was able to make a full recovery and has successfully returned to competing in barrel racing. Check out Goldie’s dramatic before and after picture to the left. For more success stories utilizing the AquaPacer underwater treadmill and to learn more about benefits and features, visit us at: www.hudsonaquatic.com.
Hudson Aquatic Systems is partnering with Unbridled Equine to offer a unique, customized educational, training and consulting experience for those who are interested in purchasing an AquaPacer, and those who already have an AquaPacer installed and want to learn how to utilize the treadmill safely and effectively in their barn or equine facility. The AquaPacer serves as an effective tool for rehab and conditioning but can be further optimized with training and educational programs designed to set you up for success.
This partnership provides current and future customers with individualized education and resources to ensure the AquaPacer is being used safely and efficiently to maximize client outcomes while establishing and growing a business.
Hudson is dedicated to providing the best UWTM on the market and to providing tools and resources to ensure your success- making this partnership valuable to past, present, and future Hudson customers.